Leaving a beloved old city and moving to a new one has sort of been like this...Iowa City is currently sitting in the corner of my apartment, and we are slowly getting used to each other.
The upside/flip side to this transitional period is gobs of hours to bake! And it is summertime in Iowa, one of the most delicious places on earth. When you buy fresh produce from the Pioneer Co-Op it comes from a farm 10's of miles away, at a quarter of the price of Union Square Farmers Market (score one, Iowa). Tomatoes, summer squash, cucumbers are running wild. How, oh how will we use all this zucchini?
Makes 15 biscuits
- 3/4 cup zucchini, shredded (***I recommend 1 full cup because I like bigger, faster, more)
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup grated cheddar (***I recommend a 1 1/4 cup because I like to overdue it)
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 stick butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup milk
With each warm biscuit Iowa City and I are warming up to one another, making sure we fit into each others wardrobe. In the meantime I am going to continue to bribe it with baked goods and new shoes.