Sunday, April 18, 2010

Pineapple Inside Out Cups


What do you do when your cupcakes aren't so pretty...? Sigh...But at least they were so good. Inspired by my high school friends blog post: http://www.cookitlikehismama.blogspot.com/

I wanted to try my hand at a pineapple upside down cupcake. I declared my quest for new summer flavors in a previous post and felt this was a good next step.

Yellow Cake Mix that requires butter
Butter
Eggs
Pineapple Juice
Fresh Pineapple
Brown Sugar
Cinnamon

I don't know any anything about glazes, cooking fruit, or even much about fruit flavors in general but you can't go wrong with this. I mixed up the yellow cake mix, eggs, and butter. Instead of water I used 100% pineapple juice. I added about 3/4 of a teaspoon of cinnamon. Adjust this to taste as this is pretty cinnamon-y. Bake the cupcakes.

-Cut up fresh pine apple in 15-18 bite size pieces and about 1/2 thick.
-Put 3/4 of a cup lightly packed brown sugar and mix around till it gets pretty juicy.
-Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a pan, add a little bit of pineapple juice and put in the pineapple.
-Cook on low-ish heat for about 20 mins turning and adding a little more brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon.
-Then take out the pineapple and put on a baking sheet and bake a low heat for a few more mins.

When the cupcakes have cooled dip the top of the cupcakes in the glaze that is left in the skillet from cooking the pineapple. Soooo good. Take the pineapple out of the oven and cool. Place pineapple on top of each cupcake.

Cupcakes NONE to pretty but were fantastic. In retrospect I would add a chunk of fresh coconut on top for some sort of decoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment