Saturday, March 20, 2010

Lemon Icee


The beautiful weather left me in search for something brighter tasting. My tongue needed summer bad. It was time to make changes to my cakes and booze. Maker's Mark & Diet, I am packing you away with my Hunter boots. Good-bye gingerbread, spice cake and any sort of hot cross buns, summer flavors are coming...

Lemon Ice Cake - my only butter-less cupcake
Betty Crocker Lemon Super Moist Cake
1 Lemon
¾ of a cup of water
1/3 cup of oil *** I would use melted butter next time
Jumbo Marshmallows
Graham Crackers
Using my brand new measuring cups and heart shaped mixing bowl, I attacked the lemon cake mix with all of my cake doctor tools. In this case the tools are a lemon and several well-chosen devices to deal with the lemon. Shockingly, a lemon juiced with a fork and spoon only gives ¼ of a cup of juice. I took out the seeds and mashed any pulp. I don’t have a zester so I used my cheese plane to zest, then chop the lemon peel. I mixed it in with the eggs and oil, which I never use and wish I still hadn't used. It worked out. The lemon juice and pulp gave the lemon flavor an authenticity and zing. They are sweet, but still bright and very yellow. I put a jumbo marshmallow on top of the cooled cupcake and put it in the microwave. When the marshmallow looks like it will explode, open the microwave quickly and spread around the top with a clean spoon. I crushed graham crackers with my fingers in a dish and rolled the cupcake top around for crunch. Still need to decide that summer cocktail...

No comments:

Post a Comment