Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Lean Pocketbook Stew, goes perfect with Taylor Ham


When money is tight, my cooking always gets better. I get more creative, resourceful, and frugal, then my Pop's going, money having self would ever be.

I accept this challenge. I will utilize the items in my pantry and STILL make something delicious on the cheap. I made the below list and decided to base this off a South Beach Diet recipe someone posted somewhere.

What I had:

-1 big can of black beans
-1 reg can of garbanzo beans
-1 baby can of tomato sauce
- 1/4 of a yellow onion
-1 medium sized potato
-chicken broth
-Taylor Ham ***seriously, the only protein I had
-cumin
-chili powder
-salt
-pepper

What I bought:

-1 large yellow onion
-1 clove of garlic
-1 can of diced tomatoes

What I regret not buying:

-fresh tomatoes
-more Daryl Lea Strawberry or Green Apple licorice


I Call it: Fall Time "I Went To New Orleans" Stew

-Peel and cube 1 medium potato.
-Cut up 1 whole medium yellow onion.

Cook up the potatoes and onions in a pan with high sides with olive oil, rosemary and a little sea salt (and Greek Spice if you are related to me)

When the potatoes are about 83% cooked through

-add rinsed off black beans
-add rinsed off garbanzo beans
-add 2/3 cup of chicken broth

Stir

-add tomato sauce
-add chopped tomatoes

Stir, stir, stir.

-add chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper to taste. I like a lot of all those things.

Keep at a medium heat to cook off some of the liquid and then simmer for about 20 minutes or so. Test every now and again to see how cooked through the potatoes are. No one likes a partially uncooked potato, my roommate and I both agreed. Also add in more chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper as you want.

Taylor Ham Part!!

Fry up slices of Taylor Ham given to you by your friends from New Jersey. 1-2 per person.

When the stew has simmered down and the potatoes are cooked through, cut up 2 pieces of porkroll (taylor ham) and spread around the bottom of the bowl. Spoon the stew on top.

Ridiculous. The stew is hearty and savory- and mixed with the ham is too good.

See Virginia, there really is a silver lining to every lean pocketbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment