Friday, July 16, 2010

Cinnamon Almond Cake Cookies Saved My Relationship...



With box cake mix. It's true. I have a long standing fascination with box cake mix recipes. They do the dirty work, you just get to add the extra, fun, flavor stuff. But lately, things had gotten stale. I was feeling trapped and limited by the cupcake.

Then last night, necessity did again become the mother of real small-time invention. My cupboard was bare and a treat needed to be made asap. I had Yellow Cake mix in my cupboard but had no interest in cupcakes. I googled "cake cookies" and found this.

Cake Mix Cookies VII (doesn't that sound like a big budget box office disaster).
***please see my notes in italics.


1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
***Duncan Hines Super Moist Yellow Cake in the cupboard.
1 teaspoon baking powder
***Have none. I googled substitutions and found 1/3 baking sode to 2/3 molasses.
So I put in:
- a dash of baking soda
-1/4 cup of brown sugar- because I didn't have molasses and also thought it sounded good.


2 eggs

1/2 cup vegetable oil

-I used 1/2 cup melted butter because everything just tastes better that way. Also, this will make the cookies a little denser.

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips or other goodies

-1 1/4 cup almonds. I used 1/2 Roasted & Salted and 1/2 Natural.
-a megabunch of cinnamon....about 1 teaspoon. But also to taste.
-a dash of allspice.


Mix the dry ingrediants. Then mix in eggs and butter. I chose to hand mix. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350 for about 8 minutes. Don't make the cookies too big.

So good. Just the right amount of cinnamon and brown sugar to give a good other flavor to the yellow cake. The almonds were a perfect mild combo and I would add even more. Not too bready or crumbly because I used butter.

In the words of my 2 year old nephew, "Try it, Like it"

No comments:

Post a Comment